Go Back   SalinasRacing Forums > Tech > Electrical Tech

Old 11-22-2009, 02:47 AM   #1
cmanns

Default Car Power Issue

70% of the time my families mustang (2.6L 99 v6) starts "ok" maybe a 2nd try needed
30% of the time it need 2-3 times, and is "scary" that its dead, however I've left the lights on before when it was dusk, and came back a hour later and it still started.

When I drive around windshield defrost on med-high, headlamps on.... seems to be draining the batt....

Anyways one concern of mine is randomly the lights turn off while driving, or dim so bad that I can't see the road, on freedom n such this becomes an issue. It's only for a split second or so but WHY would it do that? The lights on the inside of the car seem to dim too.

New batt? Get the alt tested?

The batts like 8 years old or more, we'll be replacing it soon but shall I get the alt tested or is there some common ford issue with lights dimming?

Normally the engine revs up a tad when it does this, it does it when the lights and everything are off too - it's quite annoying unless you're pushing on the brakes hard the car will lurch forward a half foot or so

THX - NOT USED 2 ADVANCED CARS LIKE FORD, MAZDAS ARE MY <3
Old 11-22-2009, 01:53 PM   #2
SalinasRacer
12.6 Second Club

SalinasRacer will become famous soon enough

[quote=cmanns;34317]70% of the time my families mustang (2.6L 99 v6) starts "ok" maybe a 2nd try needed/QUOTE]

What engine is this? 2.6l V6? I think it might be a 3.8L but try doing the things you said my old mustang used to do the same thing. I just lived with it never fixed it...

Visit my Youtube - Click Here for the latest Videos

"I have not failed 10,000 times; I have successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work." - Thomas Edison
SalinasRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 05:44 PM   #3
cmanns

[quote=SalinasRacer;34327]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmanns View Post
70% of the time my families mustang (2.6L 99 v6) starts "ok" maybe a 2nd try needed/QUOTE]

What engine is this? 2.6l V6? I think it might be a 3.8L but try doing the things you said my old mustang used to do the same thing. I just lived with it never fixed it...
Yeah it's a 2.6L v6.

She honestly aint that weak man, the weakest part about this mustang is the redline and the gayomatic

but yeah - will do, I'll take a look at the wiring and see if theres a simple way to direct wire the lamps if they use a relay.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:48 PM   #4
AcE
ADMINISTRATOR

AcE has a reputation beyond reputeAcE has a reputation beyond reputeAcE has a reputation beyond reputeAcE has a reputation beyond reputeAcE has a reputation beyond reputeAcE has a reputation beyond reputeAcE has a reputation beyond reputeAcE has a reputation beyond reputeAcE has a reputation beyond reputeAcE has a reputation beyond reputeAcE has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to AcE

There isn't a 2.6l made for the stang in 99...

AcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 11:59 PM   #5
MidnightToker
****The Toker Man****

MidnightToker is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MidnightToker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmanns View Post
70% of the time my families mustang (2.6L 99 v6) starts "ok" maybe a 2nd try needed
30% of the time it need 2-3 times, and is "scary" that its dead, however I've left the lights on before when it was dusk, and came back a hour later and it still started.

When I drive around windshield defrost on med-high, headlamps on.... seems to be draining the batt....

Anyways one concern of mine is randomly the lights turn off while driving, or dim so bad that I can't see the road, on freedom n such this becomes an issue. It's only for a split second or so but WHY would it do that? The lights on the inside of the car seem to dim too.

New batt? Get the alt tested?

The batts like 8 years old or more, we'll be replacing it soon but shall I get the alt tested or is there some common ford issue with lights dimming?

Normally the engine revs up a tad when it does this, it does it when the lights and everything are off too - it's quite annoying unless you're pushing on the brakes hard the car will lurch forward a half foot or so

THX - NOT USED 2 ADVANCED CARS LIKE FORD, MAZDAS ARE MY <3
That car should have an internal voltage regulator in the Alt. When the car is having this problem (during the time the lights are dimming), check the current at the Bat.. with the test leads on the batt. and then on the a good ground on the body. This will tell you weather the car is having a grounding issue. What is the voltage of the Batt. with the car off?

SIDE NOTE: this is my 1,111th post LOL.

143's now with a 2nd and a 3rd in No Wall Db Drag and a 1st in 129.9 Bass Race at the last show. SR's only DB Drag Racer
190+ amp Aux Alt charging at 15 volts! (for the bass only) Duel runs of 4 Ga. high grade power wire (positive and ground), duel GNB high rate Aux. batts., Rockford Fosegate t1500-1bd, and 2 custom 15" subs.
MidnightToker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:14 AM   #6
cmanns

I'll try to give it a shot tomorrow, it does it while idling and such but I can't work on the car past like 6 where we live & I normally just drive the car.

Shes in dire need of plugs being changed lol, I guess you got to remove the entire throttle body assembly
Old 11-26-2009, 07:13 PM   #7
MidnightToker
****The Toker Man****

MidnightToker is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MidnightToker

Ok let me let me know the out come when you get time to work on it.

143's now with a 2nd and a 3rd in No Wall Db Drag and a 1st in 129.9 Bass Race at the last show. SR's only DB Drag Racer
190+ amp Aux Alt charging at 15 volts! (for the bass only) Duel runs of 4 Ga. high grade power wire (positive and ground), duel GNB high rate Aux. batts., Rockford Fosegate t1500-1bd, and 2 custom 15" subs.
MidnightToker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 08:23 AM   #8
cmanns

Okay so I had little time, so I didn't get to check the voltages n such yet but!

New
Plugs
Battery (Diehard gold)

Did the batt first, cleaned all contacts around the batt, body ground, ground to the batt, power dist connection. Very little corrosion

Fire'd her up, wham turns over like 10x as fast, it's almost like a totally different car when it turns over, all lights are 100% lit while it's doing so. Headlights/hi-beams don't dim the lights now.

I also changed the plugs, NGK Vpower single copper. I kept them gapped just about .58-.60.

The old plugs had tons of oil on them though (threads) wtf? On both sides. I'm not a piston guy so I have no idea! However a guy who was around they build up old chevy's and such all the time, said she sounded great with the new plugs. Rev's up a shit load faster, however I don't notice that much power difference but I have 2 cans of seafoam running through her, and I may have put too much alum antiseize making the spark not the best?

He said he was shocked the car didn't miss and stumble with the old plugs. I did a cold start yesterday at like 70F outside, 4 seconds and it stumbled. Turned key, wham right on so no idea if new plugs gotta break in alittle or maybe I didnt turn it long enough (Keys pretty stiff to turn always)

I remember my lil rotaries, never had a issue with them not turning on after the 3rd second ^_^
Old 12-07-2009, 04:54 PM   #9
cmanns

Okay update.

The stang AcE is a 3.8L, no idea where I got 2.6L from lol different types of engines but my 1.3L rotary would smash on this stang drag, road race, whatever.... 3.8L of fail LOL

Nah jk, the 3.8L gets up there pretty damn fast if the tragicmatic is shifted right.

Anyways it still flickers at times

MidnightToker seems you knwo audio systems and electrical, should I just run down and clean more grounds and connections first or try to find it? It's totally random happens when the air's turning on n such not sure how I'll diagnose it yet.

New battery, still has that issue, sounds like the alt's on it's last legs to me.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:18 AM   #10
marcoshamp
n00b

marcoshamp is on a distinguished road

Wow, that's interesting! i didn't know it!