Old 02-16-2010, 10:54 PM   #11
SalinasRacer
12.6 Second Club

SalinasRacer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlockBailey View Post
every 2nd race for GM guys
What are you talking about?

If you build a 600 hp stroker chevy and put a stock 700r4 tranny it's not gonna last very long racing. If you blow your built forced induction motor that you had been pounding on for years and just replace with with stock shit its not gonna last very long.

Am not gonna argue with you about reliability between brands, becuase in the end all that matters is how well it's built.

Visit my Youtube - Click Here for the latest Videos

"I have not failed 10,000 times; I have successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work." - Thomas Edison
SalinasRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:18 PM   #12
FEARLE5S
Administrator

FEARLE5S is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to FEARLE5S

i did my clutch in stall the very first time at clutches for less cost me 300 i believe... i supplied clutch and they resurfaced my flywheel

2011 AWD 6.2L
FEARLE5S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:18 PM   #13
S-trim5.0
Nifty50

S-trim5.0 is on a distinguished road

That may b true 4 u bowtie boys but the real question is how much money r u throw'n at it to make it last n go fast ? U see r Ford cars might not last as long as ur chev but they sure as hell do wip on them when they do
S-trim5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:32 PM   #14
BigBlockBailey
The parts collector

BigBlockBailey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalinasRacer View Post
What are you talking about?

If you build a 600 hp stroker chevy and put a stock 700r4 tranny it's not gonna last very long racing. If you blow your built forced induction motor that you had been pounding on for years and just replace with with stock shit its not gonna last very long.

Am not gonna argue with you about reliability between brands, becuase in the end all that matters is how well it's built.
Who the hell is talking about putting a stock OVERDRIVE tranny behind a 600 hp motor & why waste the money on building a stroker BBC or SBC when a stock displacement motor & short block is more than sufficient to produce 600 HP (if that is what your goal is for power)? I talking about TH400's & Glides vs. C4's & C6's.... I paid less than $600 for an all new TH400 with a manual valve body that lasted for YEARS behind a 600 HP motor, made probably a couple hundred passes & had several thousand street miles on it... It ended up being sold to some guy in Oakland who put it in a low 9 second car & made who knows how many more passes on it. The TH400 in the Elco I have now cost even less & the only difference is that it does not have a transbrake. I'm sure it will last just as long & handle more power than I ever plan on putting to it.

When it comes to motors I'm talking about big blocks with stock 2 bolt main blocks, stock cast cranks & stock rods that will buzz 7k+ rpm for hundreds of passes with nothing more than a $58 set of ARP rod bolts without thinking twice about tossing a rod, cracking a block or blowing a head gasket... It's just not a big deal & that’s why the motors were in production for well over 30 years with only very minor changes. Kind of the same reason the Duramax is in its 10th year of production also with almost no changes while Ford has had 4 or 5 significantly different version of the Powerstroke in as many years all with shortcomings that prompt near complete redesigns every 2 or 3 years.

Don't get me wrong, the 5.0L motors are cool as hell for what they are & very reasonable in price to build 12 sec. cars but they have MAJOR limitations & weaknesses. The blocks can't handle a bunch of power & the 10 head bolt design has failure written all over it. Both of those problems can be solved with girdles & extra and or bigger head studs but those options are not cheap... Now the newer twin cam motors are a whole different beast. The power they can make is INSANE but their biggest downfall is they lack the affordability & countless inexpensive aftermarket parts that are out there for the earlier fox body motors. Ford fans will always find a way to try and justify their choice & that is fine but the majority of people that go into building something with an open mind can clearly see the benefits of building a big block or small block Chevy due to affordability & reliability if they are looking to get more "bang for the buck" and go much over 500 HP or so...

As for the subject at hand, if ya can't do the clutch yourself I say hit up Ulisies shop & give them a chance to not only give you a more than reasonable price but get the job done RIGHT... fuck clutches for less....

1970 Nova SS Big Block... "TT 70SS" - DOESN'T RUN
2003 Cobra w/ NOTHING under the hood
2007 2500HD Duramax Bone Stock Daily Driver ACTUALLY RUNS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Spreadsheet 03/15/10 View Post
I got a bet that says it'll be another 6 years before you have anything running that will even keep up with me on motor
8.97 @ 157.9 MPH 11/13/10 @ Sac. Raceway
Probably be another 6 years before something runs again!

BigBlockBailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:21 PM   #15
SalinasRacer
12.6 Second Club

SalinasRacer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Who the hell is talking
You are.

Quote:
no poppin' head gaskets, crakin' blocks or blowing up transmissions every 2nd race
I am just shedding some light on some of the reason why these things happened to the fords your implying but putting it in chevy terms. Of course no one would want to do any of the examples that i stated but they did it anyways.

Visit my Youtube - Click Here for the latest Videos

"I have not failed 10,000 times; I have successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work." - Thomas Edison
SalinasRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 04:53 PM   #16
doubleD
RiCeR

doubleD is on a distinguished road

preety easy to chane clutches u just gota kno how to drop that t 56 bro good luck
doubleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 05:00 PM   #17
FEARLE5S
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleD View Post
preety easy to chane clutches u just gota kno how to drop that t 56 bro good luck
i believe he has the T5? its an 01 cobra so its a 5 speed... want to buy my T56 marcus? haha

2011 AWD 6.2L
Old 02-17-2010, 05:54 PM   #18
831marcus
-------->

831marcus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to 831marcus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEARLE5S View Post
i believe he has the T5? its an 01 cobra so its a 5 speed... want to buy my T56 marcus? haha
Already got the clutch installed. I got charged 250 labor. It ended up being my throwout bearing that went out.

Everything is up and running again.

What happened to your Cobra FEARLE5S?

2001 COBRA. JLT RAI, Magnaflow catback
831marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:08 PM   #19
FEARLE5S
Administrator

going auto and built motor... melted the stock pistons

2011 AWD 6.2L