Go Back   SalinasRacing Forums > Tech > Domestic Tech

Old 06-07-2010, 10:34 PM   #1
trbotyz
4CFEDTA

trbotyz is on a distinguished road
Default bad oil leak and big oil pressure fluctuation

I changed my oil a week or two ago and hadn't driven the car since. I did turn it on for a few seconds after I put the oil in. Anyway, today I took it about a 1/4 mile up the road to a friends house and parked and didn't notice any problems. A couple of hours later I came out and saw a small puddle underneath the car, but thought it couldn't be my car because I hadn't seen anything underneath it in my parking spot at my apartment in the last week or two and I walk by it everyday, so I thought I would have noticed. I drove to a Subway about a mile up the road for sandwiches and when I got there I noticed a bad smell so I looked under the hood and when I opened the hood there was smoke coming out. I figured it had to be the s/c oil I spilled when I was refilling it, and it was just burning off. I checked the oil in the car just to be safe and it was still full. I was going to leave the Subway but I saw another slightly larger puddle of oil under my car so I got underneath to see if I could see anything. My drain plug was tight and the filter was tight so I checked the oil again and it was still full so I headed home. About a 1/4 of the way home I noticed the oil pressure going up and down so I was freaking out. I stayed as close to idle as I could (I don't even think that is helpful if I don't have oil, but I was freaking out and didn't really know what to do). I tried to find a curb to pull the driver side wheel up on so I could get underneath to try to see what was happening but I couldn't find any low enough so I coasted to my friends house instead of trying to make it home. I got a jack from her truck but by that time it was dark and I couldn't see much of anything so I figured I'll give it another look tomorrow after class. Does anybody have any guesses as to what the problem might be and is something in my engine most likely screwed up now? Thanks.
trbotyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 02:29 AM   #2
MidnightToker
****The Toker Man****

MidnightToker is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MidnightToker

Check the oil filter that you took off if you still have it and make sure that the O ring gasket is still on it. Sometime what happens is they stick to the block and then cause a leak. That would be my guess anyway if the oil change was the only thing that you have done/changed.

143's now with a 2nd and a 3rd in No Wall Db Drag and a 1st in 129.9 Bass Race at the last show. SR's only DB Drag Racer
190+ amp Aux Alt charging at 15 volts! (for the bass only) Duel runs of 4 Ga. high grade power wire (positive and ground), duel GNB high rate Aux. batts., Rockford Fosegate t1500-1bd, and 2 custom 15" subs.
MidnightToker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:56 PM   #3
AcE
ADMINISTRATOR

AcE has a reputation beyond reputeAcE has a reputation beyond reputeAcE has a reputation beyond reputeAcE has a reputation beyond reputeAcE has a reputation beyond reputeAcE has a reputation beyond reputeAcE has a reputation beyond reputeAcE has a reputation beyond reputeAcE has a reputation beyond reputeAcE has a reputation beyond reputeAcE has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to AcE

That happened to me once. I guess I did not tighten the oil all the way or sum shiet and I turned on the car to take it down from ramps and when I get off I look under the car and see a puddle of oil. I raged hard at that point. The filter seemed fine to me but I took it off again and put it back on and added another 5.5 querts of synthetic and it was fine after that.

AcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 03:51 PM   #4
trbotyz
4CFEDTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightToker View Post
Check the oil filter that you took off if you still have it and make sure that the O ring gasket is still on it. Sometime what happens is they stick to the block and then cause a leak. That would be my guess anyway if the oil change was the only thing that you have done/changed.
I already checked and that was not the problem unfortunately. I was hoping it was going to be a simple, stupid mistake I made, but I checked the filter, drain plug, and oil cap first, and they all seemed to be on tight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcE View Post
That happened to me once. I guess I did not tighten the oil all the way or sum shiet and I turned on the car to take it down from ramps and when I get off I look under the car and see a puddle of oil. I raged hard at that point. The filter seemed fine to me but I took it off again and put it back on and added another 5.5 querts of synthetic and it was fine after that.
I took everything back off and drained all of the oil out again. I am planning to get some brake cleaner and clean up underneath the car (covered in oil from around the oil pan on back), fill it up with oil, jack it up, and start it to see if I can see any leaks underneath. I won't have time to devote to it until this weekend though. Thanks for the input guys.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:55 AM   #5
MidnightToker
****The Toker Man****

MidnightToker is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MidnightToker

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbotyz View Post
I already checked and that was not the problem unfortunately. I was hoping it was going to be a simple, stupid mistake I made, but I checked the filter, drain plug, and oil cap first, and they all seemed to be on tight. .

But did you check to see if the old filter O ring was stuck to the block?

143's now with a 2nd and a 3rd in No Wall Db Drag and a 1st in 129.9 Bass Race at the last show. SR's only DB Drag Racer
190+ amp Aux Alt charging at 15 volts! (for the bass only) Duel runs of 4 Ga. high grade power wire (positive and ground), duel GNB high rate Aux. batts., Rockford Fosegate t1500-1bd, and 2 custom 15" subs.
MidnightToker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:52 PM   #6
trbotyz
4CFEDTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightToker View Post
But did you check to see if the old filter O ring was stuck to the block?
Yep, I checked that too.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:15 PM   #7
AGILERA

Yes you are right
good post
Old 12-19-2013, 11:35 AM   #8
gohersy254
Banned

gohersy254 is on a distinguished road

i like nice cars
gohersy254 is offline   Reply With Quote